“People’s bad health is based upon the poor choices they make in their life”
Reflecting on this statement above, write a 1,500 word essay which includes:
1. A thesis statement outlining an argument confirming or opposing this statement – remember, whatever you choose you will need to present evidence that supports your view. Before you decide on which way you will argue, you may like to firstly consider the evidence presented in the course and also your reading of the literature. This argument will need to be evident throughout the essay.
2. A broad discussion of the determinants of health which may shape people’s health and wellbeing, discuss this in relation to a social model of health, e.g. what are determinants of health?
3. Choose one (1) of the following social determinants of health
4. Now choose one (1) of the following paired population groups to focus on with your chosen social determinant of health.
Men and Women
5. By focusing on your chosen social determinant of health, outline the following in relation to your chosen group:
An explanation of the chosen social determinant of health. Here are some things that you could explain:
Define or describe the social determinant of health
Factors that contribute to the social determinant of health (negatively or positively)
Relevance within Australia – is there some evidence to support this within Australia – are there any reports or statistics that would provide a good picture of what is happening here?
How the social determinant of health may be viewed within a social model of health.
An outline of how the determinant of health may affect people’s health and wellbeing including
risk of illness and or disease
risk factor for developing chronic health conditions
ability to lead a healthy life
how the social determinant of health may affect Australian’s health and wellbeing (generally speaking)
A justification of how this determinant shapes health and wellbeing
provide clear examples from within Australia, relating to differences or disparities identified for your chosen group (e.g. men V women)
Justify your argument by summarising main points throughout the essay